Like everything else in the home, entertainment systems are getting smarter. With a smart home entertainment system, you can get more out of all of your devices and make using your home entertainment more convenient and efficient. Smart home entertainment systems aren’t just good for you and your family, but they are also a good investment for your home’s resale value. As smart home systems become more common, buyers are becoming more willing to pay higher prices for homes with existing systems so that they don’t have to go through the process of setting one up after they move in. There are lots of different ways to create a smart home entertainment system, so you can make adjustments for your personal preferences and your budget. If you’re ready to start building your system, these steps will help you get the job done.
Research Your Smart Home Entertainment Options
Before you can start putting your system together, you have to understand exactly what a smart home theater is and what options are available to you. At a basic level, a smart home entertainment system contains an interconnected network of components that can send and receive information. You may have a smart system that works solely for your entertainment devices, or your entertainment system may be integrated into a wider smart home system that works with your lights, thermostat, home alarms, and more.
When you are building your home entertainment system, the components you include will depend on the kind of entertainment you and your family enjoy. Some common components of smart entertainment systems include:
- Smart televisions. Smart televisions allow you to watch programs that are streamed directly from the internet, alongside any other television service you have, like cable or satellite. Another feature of smart televisions that people like is that they can adapt to your viewing habits and suggest programs that you may like based on what you have watched in the past.
- Smart music players. Like smart televisions, smart music players can stream music from the internet. You can use these music players with streaming services or play music from a digital collection stored in the cloud. Smart CD players and turntables are also available.
- Smart speakers. Smart speakers come in two categories. The first category of smart speaker is devices that respond to commands from you, such as the Amazon Echo. The other type is the kind of speaker that is designed to enhance your listening experience. You may want both kinds, but for an entertainment system, you definitely need the latter. Smart speakers can work via Bluetooth or Wi-Fi, but Wi-Fi versions are considered to be superior, as they have longer range, and phone calls won’t interrupt the sound.
- Video playing devices. Blu-rays, DVD players, and projectors can all play a role in smart home entertainment systems. Each of these devices can be integrated into your smart home network. You may need all of them, or you may want only one, depending on the kind of programming you watch.
You will also need a hub for controlling all of your smart entertainment system devices, which can be a wall-mounted hub in your home, an app on your phone, or both. Including your lighting in your smart home theater setup is also recommended.
Set a Budget
Smart home theater systems can run the gamut in terms of cost. People setting up a home theater may dip their toes in the water by spending a few hundred dollars, or go all out and spend tens of thousands. It is helpful to decide upfront what you want to invest in your system so that you can get the features you want without suffering from sticker shock.
There are a few simple things you can do to set a budget for your entertainment system upgrade without skimping on the results you want or overspending. Start with these tips:
- Determine what your priorities are. For example, if you have a home theater and love to watch movies, then a smart projector and smart television might be more important to you than a smart music player. You can add a music player at a later date and invest as much as you can into your movie gear first.
- Don’t try to cut corners by choosing low-quality devices. You won’t be happy with the results you get with a low-quality device, so you won’t get as much use out of your system. You may also find that you have re-invest in a new device in the near future.
- Don’t skimp on your smart home theater network. Your devices simply won’t work if your network isn’t reliable, and you will want to make sure that your network is able to handle all of the devices you want to connect.
- Consider making smart lighting part of your investment. Smart lighting lets you dim the lights and otherwise set the mood when you’re using your entertainment system, so it’s a worthy investment that will enhance your enjoyment of your home theater.
Work with a Smart Home Entertainment System Professional
There is no substitute for expert advice when you’re making decisions about technologies to integrate into your home. An experienced smart home system professional can help you make the most of your investment by guiding you towards the very best components for your priorities and preferences, while staying within your budget. They’ve seen all of the available devices and know which systems deliver the best results.
A smart home entertainment system professional can also handle one of the most important parts of the process: installation. Even with the best devices, a system that is installed poorly and not networked properly won’t function like it needs to. Setting up a smart home entertainment system is not a DIY job, so let a professional team help you get the most enjoyment from your new devices.
When you need help designing your smart home entertainment system, choose Technology Specialists. Our experienced professionals have one goal: creating the perfect smart home entertainment network to fit your preferences and budget. Start planning a customized home entertainment system in Tucson today by contacting our team.